[cellml-dev] Commit comment problem?

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-dev] Commit comment problem?
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 11:36:29 +1200

Randall Britten wrote:
> Hi all
>

> The following commit view has the comment ?Changes to the Ubuntu 9.04
> documentation??, but the changeset is huge. Has something gone out of
> sync? http://cellml-api.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/cellml-api/rev/2586ae4a7cd0

It looks like someone has done a merge and forgot to commit it, and it
has gone in with another later change.

Unlike in git, a merge in Mercurial always requires an explicit commit
afterwards. The procedure is:
hg merge tip
(do any manual fixups that may be required to resolve merge
conflicts. But keep it to a minimum rather than hiding unrelated changes
in the merge).
hg commit -m "Merged with tip"

Unfortunately, Mercurial doesn't have an analogue to git rerere, so you
will need to re-do the resolution of conflicted merges on each branch
with the same resolution (or if we decide to rebase to remove the trial
merges before putting that back into the main tree).

Best wishes,