[cellml-dev] MingW builds and exception handling

  • From: alan.garny at dpag.ox.ac.uk (Alan Garny)
  • Subject: [cellml-dev] MingW builds and exception handling
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 01:19:37 +0100

Hi Andrew,

> I've been trying to build the CellML API under MingW, and have got it to
> compile, but the tests are failing because the MingW package I was using
> doesn't allow a shared libgcc and so cannot deal with exceptions being
passed
> across DLL boundaries.

Simple question... I understand that you are trying to get a MinGW version
of the CellML API so that I can use it in OpenCOR on Windows. Now,
considering that I use Qt/C++ which comes with MinGW, I would imagine that a
first approach would be to try to build the CellML API with the MinGW
version shipped with Qt/C++? I appreciate that it might seem like a bit of
an overkill (I mean, installing MinGW + Qt just to build the CellML API),
but it might save you time in the long run. In fact, it might save me time
too later on!

> I've looked into building a newer version of gcc to fix this problem, but
my
> concern is that it might not be compatible with the version of MingW you
are
> using.

?! Build a newer version of gcc?!

> Therefore, I'd like to know:
> * What version of gcc are you using to build Windows binaries, and what
is
> the output of "gcc -v"?

I use the version of MinGW which is shipped with Qt/C++ and the version of
its gcc is 4.4.0.

> * Would you be able to use binaries built using DWARF2 exception
handling,
> or do you need SJLJ exception handling (which I think means I can't use a
newer
> gcc and expect exception handling to be compatible with an SJLJ build)?

Sorry, I have no idea about this. I would have to find out. Please let me
know if you would like me to do that.

> * Do you care about which exception is raised or would you be happy to
just
> write your code as follows?
> try { some code } catch (...) { some code here that has no access
to the
> exception and is run no matter what exception is raised; }

Well, yes, I do care otherwise, and unless I missed something, what's the
point of using the CellML API?

Alan