[cellml-dev] MingW builds and exception handling

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-dev] MingW builds and exception handling
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 11:33:04 +1200

Hi Alan,

I've been trying to build the CellML API under MingW, and have got it to
compile, but the tests are failing because the MingW package I was using
doesn't allow a shared libgcc and so cannot deal with exceptions being
passed across DLL boundaries.

I've looked into building a newer version of gcc to fix this problem,
but my concern is that it might not be compatible with the version of
MingW you are using.

Therefore, I'd like to know:
* What version of gcc are you using to build Windows binaries, and
what is the output of "gcc -v"?
* Would you be able to use binaries built using DWARF2 exception
handling, or do you need SJLJ exception handling (which I think means I
can't use a newer gcc and expect exception handling to be compatible
with an SJLJ build)?
* Do you care about which exception is raised or would you be happy
to just write your code as follows?
try { some code } catch (...) { some code here that has no access
to the exception and is run no matter what exception is raised; }

Best wishes,