[[cellml-dev] ] "Tests first" style

  • From: Randall Britten <r.britten AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: cellml-tools-developers Mailing List <cellml-tools-developers AT lists.cellml.org>
  • Subject: [[cellml-dev] ] "Tests first" style
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 02:16:28 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-NZ, en-US

Hi

We had a discussion this morning about whether tests should be committed even
if they would not compile.

My approach has been to code the test and then the implementation, get the
tests passing, cripple the implementation, check that the tests fail, and
make a commit. Then I “uncripple” the implementation, and make the next
commit. This achieves the goal of “test first style”, since it validates
that the implementation is the reason the tests pass.

Others have recommended committing just the test code, which won’t compile,
and then coding the implementation and committing the implementation, so no
the tests compile and pass. However, this does not validate that the
implementation is what caused the tests to pass, since there is no commit
which shows the tests failing followed by a diff that shows what it is that
causes the tests to pass.

Keen to hear from the community on this.

Regards,
Randall