[cellml-discussion] cellml units

  • From: alan.garny at physiol.ox.ac.uk (Alan Garny)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] cellml units
  • Date: Fri Aug 6 18:31:50 2004

Dear Matt,

Just a quick thought on your suggestion...

I have yet to go through the CellML 1.1 specification. As far as I can
remember from CellML 1.0, each variable must have a unit associated to it
and, in our software, we re-inforce that rule by having all the standard
units "hard coded". In other words, the user can use them straight away and
there is no need to declare them in the first place or, for instance, to
import them (using CellML 1.1).

Now, from your second example, I can see a reason why one would do as you
suggest. This said, any software that currently implements the standard
units the way we do it will have to be amended, so that the standard units
don't appear as being re-declared. Another concern is that someone may not
have your latest version of the standard units. How do you deal with that?

In conclusion, though I appreciate your original concern, I would personally
stick to the way we have done it so far. Our software being CellML 1.0
conformant, the user knows that s/he has access to these standard units, no
matter what, and doesn't need to think about importing them, or make sure
that s/he has the latest standard units file. Should that list of standard
units get new additions, I would expect that to be done through the release
of a new version of the CellML specification.

Cheers, Alan.