Re: [cellml-discussion] base_si_units.xml

  • From: Warren Hedley <whedley AT sdsc.edu>
  • To: cellml-discussion AT cellml.org
  • Subject: Re: [cellml-discussion] base_si_units.xml
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:06:24 -0700

Hi Matt,

Thank you for putting out a sample file to help clarify things.

If you check the dictionary of standard units, you'll note that only 7 are base units, we've added "dimensionless", and then the rest can be expressed in terms of those units.

I think your definitions file would be much more useful if the derived units were defined in terms of the base units. This would then relieve applications from being responsible for knowing how these units are related.

I can barely remember what a Newton or a Joule is, so I'll leave that as something for you to research :-)

Cheers,
Warren

Matt Halstead wrote:
Attempt 1 of a general set of SI units for importing.

<units name="ampere" base_units="yes"/>
<units name="farad" base_units="yes"/>
<units name="katal" base_units="yes"/>
<units name="lux" base_units="yes"/>
<units name="pascal" base_units="yes"/>
<units name="tesla" base_units="yes"/>
<units name="becquerel" base_units="yes"/>
<units name="gram" base_units="yes"/>
<units name="kelvin" base_units="yes"/>
<units name="meter" base_units="yes"/>
<units name="radian" base_units="yes"/>