Re: [cellml-discussion] RDF API

  • From: Matt Halstead <matt.halstead AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: "For those interested in contributing to the development of CellML." <cellml-discussion AT cellml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cellml-discussion] RDF API
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:40:29 +1200

On 26/08/2005, at 6:09 PM, Andrew Miller wrote:

Quoting Matt Halstead
<matt.halstead AT auckland.ac.nz>:

Yes, we leave it as XML fragments for now

So you are suggesting that I use something like:

typedef dom::Element RDF;

to define RDF?

That would do fine.

and deal with it when we
come to thinking about handling metadata. We are likely to want to
add a CellML specific API for metadata based on either RDF schemas,
or OWL ontologies.

I'm not sure that we want to restrict the API to what is defined in the CellML
Metadata specification, but perhaps we could use a general API, include a
mechanism for namespace based delegation of the implementation(as is done with
the DOM, for example, to implement MathML), and provide a CellML specific as
well as a generic API.

I'm not suggesting it is restricted, that's another question altogether. An RDF schema handler would be sufficient for exposing an API for creating CellML metadata. But lets not worry about that now.

The CellML metadata editor does have an interface
for handling the metadata, and that might be a good place to review
some of this when the time comes.

The problem is that unless we define the API well now, API users will rely on
the current behaviour, and then break when future versions of the API come out.
So I think we do need to at least define an extensible mechanism for dealing
with RDF, even if we don't actually extend it to do CellML metadata specific
handling yet.

Best regards,
Andrew Miller