[cellml-discussion] Biological and other non-model citations in CellML metadata?

  • From: matt.halstead at auckland.ac.nz (Matt )
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Biological and other non-model citations in CellML metadata?
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:05:11 +1200

On 3/29/07, Nicolas Le Novere <lenov at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Matt wrote:
>
> > Can you explain in more detail or point to explanations of
> > bqmodel:isDescribedBy?
>
> You can find some explanations at:
>
> http://www.ebi.ac.uk/compneur-srv/miriam-main/mdb?section=qualifiers

So there is no simple way to determine if this is a reference to a
journal article except through interpreting the URI?

> Note tha qualifiers are optional to be MIRIAM-compliant. I personaly
> think we should always use some qualification, otherwise an annotation
> becomes very difficult to use except for jumping from webpage to
> webpage.
>
> > Specifically:
> > - what is its intended meaning?
>
> Cf above. Note that the list of qualifiers is by no mean frozen. We
> are already aware of several gaps (e.g. how do-we qualify the relation
> between a peptide and the gene that encodes it?)
>
> > - when more than one of these is defined on a resource, how is this
> > interpreted? For example: is there some precedence implied somehow?
>
> This is up to the "tool" using the qualifiers. SBML does not allow
> nested qualifications. There is only an implicit "hasVersion" if several
> identical qualifiers are present:
>
> bqmodel:isDescribedBy toto
> bqmodel:isDescribedBy tata
>
> means is described by toto and is described by tata. In other words
> toto or tata describe the component.
>
> NOT toto and tata are necessary to describe the component.
>
> On top of that, BioModels DB add some precedence
> http://www.ebi.ac.uk/compneur-srv/biomodels/doc/annotation.html
>
> But all that is not part of MIRIAM rules.
>
> > - how do you determine the kind of reference it is - for example a
> > pubmed uri? You have a datatype for vocab/database IDs in the
> > annotation scheme you described, but I don't see this in the
> > bqmodel:isDescribedBy examples.
>
> <rdf:li rdf:resource="http://www.pubmed.gov/#8983160"/>
>
> http://www.pubmed.gov/ means "the following identifier has to be
> interpreted as pointing to a data of PubMed".
>
> http://www.pubmed.gov/ is unique and should not normally
> change. However, sometimes it may neverstheless change for various
> reasons: URI too confusing, badly choose, fusion of two resources
> etc. For instance, the old PubMed URI was
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/
> It was misleading because tied to a particular physical resource at
> the NCBI.
>
> We have a deprecation system in place that allow to resolve the
> old URIs and provide the new ones.
>

> > - how would you address auxiliary references as opposed to primary
> > references so that a machine interpreting it can make the distinction?
>
> I am not sure I understand that. Like primary and secondary accessions of
> UniProt?

For journal articles, or other publications, then being able to
identify the primary reference(s) is useful. For database records, it
would also be useful to label a group as being the most important (or
defining) set, and others as 'helpful'. It was why I suggested that
CellML bibliographic referencing seperated these two, and that the
latter would need to be bound to a reason (a natural language comment
would be fine) the described why that reference was made.