[cellml-discussion] [team-cellml] @cellml.org addresses

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] [team-cellml] @cellml.org addresses
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:50:19 +1200

David Nickerson wrote:

>>> While I am unsure how much interest or usefulness there is in providing
>>> such a service, I guess I have no problems with this suggestion.
>>> Although it will require input from the Auckland IT team as to what is
>>> required to implement such a service for a larger group than the core
>>> management team as we were originally discussing.
>>>

>> I don't think we are talking about a very large group of people (there
>> are currently 74 people on the mailing list, and I expect the majority
>> of them wouldn't want to be listed as being contacted). As long as we
>> ask that the alias only be used for CellML-related discussion, I don't
>> see the volume of mail getting out of hand.
>>
>> The first problem with the idea of restricting this to the "core
>> management team" is that there isn't one, and deciding on one is going
>> to be inherently problematic.
>>
>> The second problem is that even if there was a core management team,
>> they would primarily deal with the maintenance of the CellML
>> specification and the cellml.org website, and not necessarily domain
>> specific aspects of creating CellML models. The proposal to provide
>> people a way to contact each other off-list would probably need to
>> include people who actually create models of various types to be useful,
>> and these people wouldn't be on the core management team.
>>

> This is really going away from the original intention of this proposal.
> The idea was to simply provide contact details for the core project
> members on the "Project Team" page at cellml.org so that people have
> some way to contact the project if they preferred (for whatever reason)
> not to subscribe and send mail to the cellml-discussion list, or if
> someone has a "private" idea they would like to discuss with the core
> project team.
Although they probably have a specific idea of who they want to contact,
and I don't think that the 'core project members' would be the right
people. What sort of ideas are you suggesting they might have? If it is
anything other than details about the site, or the CellML specification,
then the core project team is not the right place for it. If it is a
help request, then I think we should require the question and answer to
be archived so that if someone else has the same problem, they can see
the solution. If someone is not willing for their question to be
published for the benefit of others, do we really want to invest
resources in answering their question?
> The idea of using @cellml.org aliases for this purpose
> meant that when someone (like James or Catherine) were unlikely to be
> checking their email, we could ensure the aliases were at least
> redirected to another person who might be able to help.

Although just updating the page to make it clear who requests should be
addressed to would also achieve this just as well.
> Following what you are outlining above, I really see no need for
> @cellml.org aliases. Given this, why not simply make the subscribers
> list for cellml-discussion visible? assuming there is some way for
> subscribers to still say "keep me private"...

mailman already supports this. As a test of this approach, I have
adjusted my settings so that I will show up at:

http://www.cellml.org/mailman/roster/cellml-discussion
(everyone else is hidden and having the e-mail address displayed is
opt-in, hence why my address is the only one on the list).

To opt-in and appear on this list, type your e-mail address, log on
using your list e-mail address and password at
http://www.cellml.org/mailman/options/cellml-discussion . Then change
"Conceal yourself from subscriber list?" to No.**
> Having said that, I still see value in the original proposal.

I think that simply categorising people is a much more community focused
way of achieving the same goal.