[cellml-discussion] Errors building the C++ API

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Errors building the C++ API
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:21:56 +1200

David Nickerson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know Andrew and I have discussed this in the past but just thought I'd
> raise the issue here and see if anyone has any ideas.
>
> I have just begun trying to build the C++ API implementation using the
> latest svn trunk code. I'm using a freshly installed Fedora 7 Linux box
> (gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20070502 (Red Hat 4.1.2-12)). This used to work fine on
> my previous Fedora Core 5 install, but since FC6 the Fedora project

The problem is that Red Hat maintains the compiler and they always seem
to sneak in a few 'bleeding edge' changes into their version, which
often break obscure features of gcc (last time I looked into it, I
believe they had an earlier, broken patch of the visibility patch, and
we simply check that visibility is present and use it if it is. FC's
patches mean the test passes, but visibility doesn't actually work quite
right). I am not sure why the problem has persisted into newer versions
- I would have thought they would have moved to a newer gcc with
visibility support instead of using their patch.