[cellml-discussion] CellML terminology: distinguishingCellMLmodels from the XML in which they are represented

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] CellML terminology: distinguishingCellMLmodels from the XML in which they are represented
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:52:36 +1300

David Nickerson wrote:
> Andrew Miller wrote:

>> How about CellML Infoset, CellML Model, and Mathematical Model?
>>

> That sounds good to me. While I guess this use of infoset is pretty
> common in the XML world, it might be useful to refer to the CellML XML
> Infoset? Or is it safe to assume that people reading the specification
> have some familiarity with XML concepts?

I am not sure that having the words XML aid interpretation. Also, there
has been some work to create alternative, non-XML serialisations of the
infoset - see Fast Infoset for example, which is on an ITU-T
standardisation track. We are not talking specifically about the XML
serialisation in the places where XML Infoset is mentioned (although of
course XML serialisation is the standard for CellML, anything else would
be an extension). However, given that the definition of CellML Infoset
would reference the XML Information Sets specification, I am not sure
that we really need to repeat XML everywhere.