[cellml-discussion] [cellmlteam] Contributing CellML models to Wolfram Alpha

  • From: alan.garny at dpag.ox.ac.uk (Alan Garny)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] [cellmlteam] Contributing CellML models to Wolfram Alpha
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 10:17:23 +0100

I must confess that I am not particularly impressed with it either. I did
'play' with it quite a bit when it got released and, yes, it's fun/cool if
you stick to the kind of stuff shown in Wolfram's demo, but otherwise...
it's basically 'useless'. This put aside, I like the concept and no doubt
that it's going to take time to make it worthwhile.

> Can anyone explain/speculate to me how submitting to WA would help our
> goals of a.) increasing uptake of CellML, b.) model distribution [this
> one is obvious,] c.) model reuse, d.) model
> mix/match/cut/paste/remix/mashup, e.) model reparameterisation, f.)
> merging of data sets....?

a) and c) I would imagine it's pretty obvious. The sole fact that CellML
models would become 'available' through WA means that people would get to
know about CellML and, from there, might be interested in finding more about
it, etc.

As for your other points, I don't know for certain, but I don't think it
matters: anything that can help people use CellML is a good thing (as long
as it fits the maximum output for minimum input paradigm... :))

Alan