[cellml-discussion] Schematic diagram

  • From: dj.cowan at auckland.ac.nz (Dougal Cowan)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Schematic diagram
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:00:27 +1300

On 14/10/2010 8:23 a.m., Catherine Lloyd wrote:
> Hi Felix

> We have a library of glyphs which can be downloaded for free from the
> model repository:
>
> http://models.cellml.org/workspace/sessionresources/
>
> You need to click on "manifest" for the latest addition to the folder
> and you can download the glyphs from there.

The latest glyph library is the one simply called "Diagram Library.ai".
The older ones with dates included in the file names were around before
the library made it into Mercurial.

> Please let us know if you have any further questions (either concerning
> the images or CellML itself). One final thought - you need a licence to
> use Adobe Illustrator. I think there are alternative free software you
> can use (maybe Inkscape?). Again Dougal can confirm this.

Inkscape can certainly be used to create these diagrams, and I will put
a copy of the library into the workspace in SVG format to make this easier.

Inkscape has historically been avoided for a couple of reasons.
Inkscape's SVG output is more difficult to work with when creating
interactive session files, and it is more laborious to add the ID tags
to the SVG using Inkscape than it is with Illustrator. Inkscape also
expands simple gradients out into a large number of objects, making the
SVG files much bigger than they need to be. If the diagrams are not
being used to make OpenCell SVG sessions, then these problems are not
relevant.

Cheers,
Dougal

database 5529 (20101013) __________