[cellml-discussion] naive questions about modeling blood-brain barrier and its disruption

  • From: maudette at odu.edu (Audette, Michel A.)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] naive questions about modeling blood-brain barrier and its disruption
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 22:50:58 -0400

Hi David,

thanks for your kind reply. The link for OpenRave is the correct one. The
SOFA link is http://www.sofa-framework.org/ . What SOFA does well is provide
a suitable architecture for interactive medical simulation at the organ
level. Where CellML will complement it is modeling processes at the cell and
tissue levels, thereby complementing what SOFA has already in the development
of multi-scale interactive medical simulation, especially if it is possible
to distribute the computation, either over several cores, or over several
GPUs.

I don't have a mathematical expression for this change in porosity of the
BBB. You could say that I'm still dipping my toe in the pool, in terms of my
immersion in computational biology. I imagine that if there is a model for
diffusion of molecules accross a tissue layer, that would be a place to
start, but ideally, I would like something that is well adapted to the
blood-brain barrier itself. I guess Google is my friend, and I can report
back if I find such an expression.

Cheers,

Michel

The basic idea that I have is to pursue the development of
Michel Audette, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
Department of Modeling, Simulation and Visualization Engineering,
Old Dominion University,
Norfolk, VA.