[cellml-dev] SVG, JavaScript and OpenCell

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-dev] SVG, JavaScript and OpenCell
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 11:04:34 +1300

Randall Britten wrote:
> Hi
>

> OpenCell is currently based on XulRunner (i.e. very similar to Firefox),
> and hence cruises regarding handling SVG with JavaScript. Based on
> early reports from Alan and Andrew, it seems that other platforms (e.g.
> Qt/C++ or Scala/JVM) will probably struggle.
>

> However, one option to consider is to reverse the situation, and rather
> than embed the browser in OpenCell, embed OpenCell in the browser. That
> way, the SVG is rendered by the browser, and the JavaScript is making
> calls to and API exposed by the OpenCell plug-in (or applet?).

Hi Randall,

We tried that before back in 2004 - in fact, OpenCell's predecessor was
called mozCellML, which was a Mozilla extension, which embedded mozCmgui
to draw the graphs.

Users complained about having to install a specific browser to use
mozCellML, and a number of other issues related to having it in the
browser (such as browser updates breaking mozCellML), so we decided that
it was a much cleaner approach to change mozCellML to be a stand-alone
application.

In short, it wouldn't give us any benefit, and it would add unnecessary
complexity for the user.

Best wishes,
Andrew