[cellml-dev] Compiling the API and OpenCell on Windows

  • From: lpsmith at spod-central.org (Lucian Smith)
  • Subject: [cellml-dev] Compiling the API and OpenCell on Windows
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 02:21:02 +0000

* Randall Britten <r.britten at auckland.ac.nz> [2010-11-18 01:33] writes:
> Hi Lucian
>
> Andrew is quite busy with his PhD at the moment, so I think you will only
> get a comprehensive reply from Andrew in a day or perhaps a few days, but I
> had a brief mail discussion with him, and he suggested a few alternatives
> that you could try:
>
> 1) Use the setup tool he created for setting up a windows environment for
> building the CellML-API:
> http://cellml-api.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/cellml-api/win32-build-setup/.
> Note that it is still a bit rough, and requires more testing, so if you do
> try this, be prepared for retrying a few times, probably preferable if you
> have pristine VM images on stand-by. If you do, it will help us finish it
> off, which will make life easier for developers in future.

Does this mean you don't recommend running this on an actual version of
Windows?

> 2) If you want to avoid using MSVC, and only use cygwin, then you will have
> to build xul-runner on cygwin from source, since Windows xul-runner binaries
> distributed by Mozilla are usually built using MSVC.

Well, this is sure to be simplicity itself!

> 3) Change your app to use the new "TeLICeMS" (available in "head revision"
> of source code repo), which will remove the xul-runner dependency. The work
> on xul-runner support was part of the OpenCell project, but our group is no
> longer working on the OpenCell project, and the new OpenCell project is not
> based on xul-runner. So this is probably the best long term option, since
> it means improves maintainability of the CellML support in your application
> over the next few years. A pain in the short term though.

Hmm, yeah, that would be nicer. It would mean re-writing every single
line of my CellML-dependent code, so I think this probably won't happen
now (as I'm trying desperately to get this out the door and out of my
life). But it's nice to know that future generations won't have to
experience the same pain as I ;-)

Thank you!

-Lucian