[cellml-dev] Errors in CellML files

  • From: lpsmith at spod-central.org (Lucian Smith)
  • Subject: [cellml-dev] Errors in CellML files
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 22:46:41 +0100

* Andrew Miller <ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz> [2011-09-22 22:37] writes:
> On 23/09/11 06:05, Lucian Smith wrote:
> >Out of the approximately 2,000 cellml model files on models.cellml.org,
> >over half of them give me an error when I read them in with the CellML
> >API, of the form:
> >
> > CellML Variable Po in component TempRLC has in interfaces, but is not
> > connected (directly or indirectly) to any variable with no in
> > interfaces;
> >
> >The thing is, I don't actually care about this error at all--I'm not
> >trying to simulate anything, I'm only trying to translate the model, and
> >it should be perfectly possible to translate a model like this.
>
> Hi Lucian,
>
> Can you remind me why you need to be using CeVAS? The whole point of
> CeVAS is to map variables in components to their 'source' (that is, the
> variable which is connected to them but is not an in variable).
>
> Therefore, CeVAS, in its current form, is only useful for variables that
> are ultimately connected up to a variable with no in interfaces.

It looks like I use CeVAS for the function 'iterateRelevantComponents'.

> This should apply for any complete models, but it won't apply to, say, a
> model that is not a complete model, but is designed as a component to be
> imported into another model.
>
> If Antimony can't deal with these component models, then there is little
> benefit to trying to translate them. If it can, I'd suggest doing a more
> direct translation and letting Antimony work out the connections rather
> than using CeVAS to flatten all the parts of the model into one.

Antimony can indeed deal with thse component models just fine, as it does
not have any concept of under-specification of a variable. It simply
writes out what it has.

I do indeed work out the connections on my own. I think. It's been a
while since I wrote that code. At the very least, the only times I call
'cevas->' anything is to call 'modelError' and
'iterateRelevantComponents'.

-Lucian