[cellml-discussion] Web-based validator for CellML 1.0

  • From: d.nickerson at auckland.ac.nz (David Nickerson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Web-based validator for CellML 1.0
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:10:42 +1300

Hi Jonathan,

Great work on the validator - thanks!

Just a couple of initial points. Valid models are free to use the full
range of MathML 2.0 elements - the subset specified in the CellML 1.0
specification should just be viewed as the minimum set that an
application need implement to be thought CellML compliant (whatever that
might mean). Its something that we regret and now and then think about
removing from the 1.1 specification. So I wouldn't worry too much about
ensuring that models conform to the subset.

Regarding the first query: Rule 2.5.2 conflicts with the standard
interpretation of attribute namespaces. Attributes without an explicit
namespace are considered to be in the null (local) namespace, not the
namespace of the parent element.

To date we have been writing models using this rule and most software
that reads CellML also uses this. So all the models currently in the
CellML model repository are invalid unless this rule is followed. With
your validator, it would be good if the behaviour implied by rule 2.5.2
overruled that of the default namespace behaviour for elements in the
CellML namespace - since these elements should be goverened by the
CellML specifcation. Do you have any specific arguments for enforcing
the null namespace rather than the parent element namespace for elements
in the CellML namespace ??

Thanks again for the good work,
David.