[cellml-discussion] model variants(?): e.g. where multiple cell types are described by the same model in different files

  • From: j.lawson at auckland.ac.nz (James Lawson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] model variants(?): e.g. where multiple cell types are described by the same model in different files
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:22:38 +1200

Hi folks,

I'm just fishing for some comments on how to handle cases where there
are models which describe, for example, the properties of multiple cell
types. Bondarenko et al. 2004 is a good example of this:

"In the Bondarenko et al. 2004 publication described here, the authors
develop a computer model of the mouse ventricular action potential (see
below). The model includes parameters for both the apex and the septum
regions of the heart (the apex parameters have been substituted into the
CellML version of the model described in ), and this helps to illustrate
how there are regional differences in myocyte repolarisation in the
mouse heart."

Penny Noble has just sent me a zip file containing the latest versions
of all the models she has curated for COR. I'm currently in the process
of comparing these versions to the latest versions we have on the
repository. In some cases, she has provided several variants of the same
model which describe different cell types, as above.

Firstly, are these true 'variants'? If so, then the matter is relatively
simple. Unfortunately, if one goes through the repository list, variants
simply come up as a duplication of the model listing, with no
information concerning what the variant represents. This is something I
imagine will be fixed in time, but is presently rather frustrating
considering the issue at hand.

Does anyone have any comments on this? Should I simply put the files up
as different variants, with a note in the documentation?

Thanks,
James Lawson