[cellml-discussion] Proposal: Local CellML team e-mail addresses

  • From: j.lawson at auckland.ac.nz (James Lawson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Proposal: Local CellML team e-mail addresses
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:30:04 +1200

David Nickerson wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I think this is an excessive response to a very minor problem. I very
> easily see this evolving into many separate and distinct local
> communities with little interaction. For the same reasons we removed the
> cellml-tools mailing list,

I would very much like to see
> cellml-discussion remain as the only public forum for discussing CellML
> related issues, until such time as we decide that the list is being
> flooded with too many emails on one topic and we separate that topic off
> onto its own mailing list.

Just a side note: at present, people who we would very much like to be
participating in discussions or at the very least be subscribed to the
list, are not subscribed because most of what is being discussed on the
list is irrelevant to them. The discussion list is described as being
'for those interested in contributing to the development of CellML,'
rather than what I gather is the currently intended function. That is,
'all things cellml.' I brought this up at the ABI meeting today and we
think it needs to be addressed somehow.

I have yet to see any need for this.

To be honest, I have to say I don't really agree with this response
either. I do think that some changes are needed, however, to address
issues that we've been talking about regarding a.) building community
and getting more people involved in cellml-discussion, b.) providing a
useful platform for people to get help, and c.) what I mention above.

Also, as I said in an earlier reply to this thread, I think that most
groups would already have their own group mailing list / electronic
communication network. Why would they want a cellml.org one? Especially
with all the rules Andrew intends to impose. Not that I necessarily
disagree with the guidelines he's suggested, it's just a matter of
principle. People reject unnecessary control.