[cellml-discussion] Proposal: Local CellML team e-mail addresses

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Proposal: Local CellML team e-mail addresses
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:56:56 +1200

Hi,

There has been some discussion recently about how best to handle local
CellML addresses (which can be used by local groups with an interest in
CellML to arrange meetings and hold other discussions which are purely
local in scope and not of interest to the broader CellML community).

At the University of Auckland, we have a list for the Auckland CellML
team. However, I feel that some of the discussion on that list would
probably better occur on the cellml-discussion mailing list (or another
more public forum). After discussing this at our Auckland CellML group
meeting, it was suggested that perhaps similar issues are arising at
other localised groups working on CellML. To this end, we came up with a
rough proposal (which I expand on below) which I hope will help both the
Auckland group and other groups using CellML to collaborate.

Please note that this is just a proposal, and I would welcome feedback
on how we can improve it. I would be especially interested to hear
opinions from other groups outside Auckland using CellML.

Proposal:
"
1) Groups can request <location>@cellml.org mailing lists.
a) Any group which is working on a CellML related project may [follow
some procedure which needs to be decided] to request a mailing list for
discussion of location specific matters related to their CellML project.
b) The e-mail address requested shall follow the format
<location>@cellml.org, where <location> is replaced with a short word,
phrase, or abbrevation which describes the geographical location of the
group concerned.
c) The location name should be sufficient to uniquely distinguish the
group from other separate groups that may wish to work on CellML. List
names are subject to review to ensure that they are unlikely to conflict
with another group or cause confusion.

2) Location-specific mailing lists to have open membership and be
publicly archived.
a) Any person may join any location-specific mailing list without
moderator approval, regardless of their actual geographic location.
b) All location-specific mailing lists shall have a publicly readable
archive, hosted at cellml.org.

3) Scope and posting rules for location-specific mailing lists.
a) All messages posted to location-specific mailing lists must be
related in some way to CellML, or to tools which process CellML, or to
the operation of groups with an interest in CellML. Some degree of
leeway should be afforded by cellml.org administrators here, as long as
the list is not being used as a free hosting service for work not even
vaguely related CellML.
b) Message posters are strongly encouraged to send messages which may
be of broader interest to the cellml-discussion list rather than to the
location-specific address.
c) The location-specific mailing lists must not be used for
information which is of a private or confidential nature (after all, it
is an open membership list with a public archive).
d) All posters to location-specific mailing lists agree that their
messages may be further distributed (with attribution to them),
including by forwarding to the cellml-discussion list or by inclusion in
public bug-trackers (and also agree to the translation of their messages
into another language).
e) The location-specific groups may establish their own additional