[cellml-discussion] embedded stimulus currents in CellML models

  • From: david.nickerson at nus.edu.sg (David Nickerson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] embedded stimulus currents in CellML models
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:30:55 +0800

>> Unfortunately, I can't see any way to do this with 1.0 models other
>> than
>> to have multiple copies of the entire model with and without various
>> boundary conditions imposed. This is, of course, one of the main
>> reasons
>> for CellML 1.1 :-)
>
> Shouldn't we therefore offer at least two different sets of CellML 1.0
> files? One that only contains the model itself and another that also
> includes some simulation specific information?

yep - thats what I'd suggest. I think having models in the repository
with stimulus currents, by default, is a byproduct of repository
browsers wanting to be able to download the model and run it without
having to change anything. Which also partly drives the sticking up of
PCEnv sessions files, I guess....

> Though CellML 1.1 is the obvious way to go, we have to accept the fact that
> most CellML users probably only use CellML 1.0.

I would hope that most CellML users don't care that they're using CellML
at all, let alone which version of it they are "using". My hope would be
for all application developers to use the "standard" CellML API and
hence we would not have to worry about coming up with hacky solutions to
problems that have already been solved in newer versions of CellML. Of
course, as you point out below that might not be so easy to achieve
after all... ;-)

>> Personally, I would hope switching an application to using the CellML
>> API and hence being able to handle CellML 1.1 models would be a much
>> easier process than writing code to interpret certain pieces of
>> metadata :-)
>
> Agreed in principle. I am just not sure whether this is always that easy in
> practice. If it had been that 'easy', I would certainly have done it for
> COR... :)

agreed :(