[cellml-discussion] Fwd: [Fwd: Fwd: Curation flags]

  • From: alan.garny at dpag.ox.ac.uk (Alan Garny)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Fwd: [Fwd: Fwd: Curation flags]
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 08:25:47 +0100

With regards to the flags, it would clearly be good to know, at a glance,
whether a model is valid or not. However, it would also be good (upon
clicking some kind of a link?) to know what are the issues that make a model
invalid.

> However, 'simulation' probably *is* a more productive area in which to
> expand--if you could tell, in general, what kind of math techniques a
model
> needed to be simulated, you could tell if your simulator
> (/translator) could handle those techniques. ODE's, PDE's, algebraic
rules, etc.

+1, though we could also list the environments that we know can solve the
model. Again, that might be the kind of information that one could get upon
clicking some kind of a link (or, maybe better, by hovering the flag)?

Otherwise:
- "Is the model encoded in a public, standardized, machine-readable
format?": are we just talking about CellML or also FieldML, SBML, etc.? This
is not clear to me. I get the impression that you are talking about any kind
of standard, which is fine but I would like to be able to know, at a glance,
the format in which a model is encoded.
- "Are the date and time of creation and last modification specified?": you
have included a comment asking whether "we want to make model history
obligatory?" Personally, I think we do. In fact, I was going to ask for it
before I saw your comment.
- As a general rule, should the answer to any particular question be
negative, it would then be good to be able to click on the 'negative flag'
and be directed to a page that contains some information on what the
'problem(s)' is/are.
- "NOTE: The above detailed set of curation flags will need to be condensed
into 3 summary glyphs visable next to the model name on the exposure
listing.": personally, the 3 summary glyphs I would like to see is the
format in which the model is encoded, whether the encoding is valid, and
whether the model reproduces published results.

Finally, there are a few typos in your Excel document... :)

Alan