[cellml-dev] [cellml-discussion] Announcement of PCEnv 0.6rc1 (release candidate for PCEnv 0.6)

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-dev] [cellml-discussion] Announcement of PCEnv 0.6rc1 (release candidate for PCEnv 0.6)
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:54:54 +1300

Alan Garny wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>

>> The first release candidate for PCEnv version 0.6 has been released.
>> This is the first version of PCEnv since 0.1 that can run on OS X;
>> there
>> are also a number of other improvements since PCEnv 0.5.
>> More information, and the released files themselves, are available at
>> http://www.cellml.org/downloads/pcenv/releases/0.6rc1
>>
>> A release candidate will become a release one week from announcement on
>> this list if there are no problems identified with it.
>>

> Don't you think that ONE week (?!) might be a bit short? I mean that one of
> the biggest changes in PCEnv is that it now works under OS X. So, I would
> expect people wanting to test it under that operating system to need a bit
> more than one week. Even for those who use Windows and/or Linux in fact...

Hi Alan,

The one week period between the release of the release candidates and
the final release is a long-standing policy which has existed since the
PCEnv project was first created (and was carried over from the mozCellML
release policy). The purpose of the release candidate period is to give
people a chance to find any particularly critical bugs in the packaged
up version (for example, that it doesn't install / run at all for some
reason... although we perform our own functional tests before making a
release as well). It isn't intended to be a feedback period about
features or anything else like that - such feedback has to be made
before we start to stabilise for a release, or otherwise be considered
for the next release (and so doesn't have to be in the one week period).

We always have the next release to fix bugs and support feature requests
that come up, it is only the really critical problems that would block
the transition from release candidate to release (otherwise we would
never make a release), and so a week should be more than enough time for
that.

Best wishes,
Andrew