Re: [[cellml-dev] ] libCellML use cases

  • From: David Nickerson <david.nickerson AT gmail.com>
  • To: cellml-tools-developers AT lists.cellml.org
  • Subject: Re: [[cellml-dev] ] libCellML use cases
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 23:29:49 +1300

Hi all,

I agree with Hugh's comments. This seems like a useful document to
include in the libCellML project, but it needs to be tided up and
formatted to make sense. Ideally, I would like to see the use-cases
laid out in terms of the milestones in the roadmap as this will help
determine the required sequence for implementation. There are
use-cases that clearly go beyond the requirements laid out in the
current roadmap, so we need to be clear what are just anticipated, but
still very useful, use-cases vs actual use-cases that libCellML needs
to support first. Obviously part of this process will determine if
changes in the roadmap are required.

It makes sense to me that each use-case is recast as an issue in the
tracker once work is going to start on that required feature or
use-case. But once this document is ordered according to the
milestones, then it would be trivial to do a bulk issue creation and
assign them to the appropriate milestone and priority, if that is the
preferred way to manage the use cases.

Some additional notes on the document:

The table in 4.v is missing mathematics. I also think it is important
that each column in that table has valid and an invalid entries (e.g.,
X with valid name; X with invalid name; X with no name; where X =
component, variable, units), as we need to ensure that libCellML
handles errors conditions gracefully. And these models that are being
created will form the basis of the CellML test suite, which is used to
test the validation capabilities of libCellML.

The distinction between built-in units and user-defined units seems
cumbersome. If a model either has units in it or it doesn't. The
support of the default set of units defined in the specification is an
internal detail - to me at least.

Given that validation is a key feature of libCellML, the validation
category (9) really needs to be filled out. Starting with the same
table as 4.v (with above modifications) seems like a good starting
point to me.

Cheers,
Andre.

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 4:05 PM, Hugh Sorby
<h.sorby AT auckland.ac.nz>

--

David Nickerson
about.me/david.nickerson