[cellml-discussion] [team-cellml] @cellml.org addresses

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] [team-cellml] @cellml.org addresses
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 13:47:27 +1200

James Lawson wrote:
> David Nickerson wrote:
>
>> I think using the mechanism Andrew suggested earlier which allows people
>> to make themselves visible on the subscribers list for cellml-discussion
>> is a suitable way to achieve this,
>>

> Hmm, this is pretty low-key though. I think it would be nice to have a
> name and a face and a little blurb.

I agree that the subscriber list is probably not really the list that we
want because it will never contain enough associated metadata.
> as well as making contributions to
>
>> events like the CellML Workshop. There is also the members directory for
>> everyone who has an account on cellml.org.
>>

> But is that available to visitors and other members?

You can view:
http://www.cellml.org/Members/member_search_results
without being logged in (of course, you would have to know it was
there). The only problem is that this is still not exactly the list we
want (it lists accounts not people, and aside from the image it doesn't
put any metadata in the list). Accounts instead of names is a problem
because firstly, we have accounts with names like "Tutorial" and
"summer", secondly the account names are not always very recognisable as
being a particular person, with names like "jlaw060". It also lists 3
accounts for Tommy because he presumably uses them for testing, has
people who haven't done anything CellML related for a long time but who
still may be associated with content (and so can't just be deleted), and
so on.
> Not sure I see a need for
>
>> anything over and above this, but if we go down that track it should be
>> distinct from the core project team.
>>

> Yes, absolutely, but I think it would help to bring people together
> more. To get them communicating with eachother as well as us.

I still don't like the idea of a 'core project team' simply because that
would require defining what the core project is, and it would appear to
then give exclusive domain over such aspects to a limited set of people.
In some sense, my objection is that the CellML 'project' is not strictly
one project, it is actually a diverse set of projects, each of which may
have its own decentralised management.

Examples of individual projects that are CellML related:
a) The CellML Specification(s)
b) The CellML Metadata specification
c) The CellML Simulation Metadata Specification
d) The CellML Graphing Metadata Specification
e) The CellML Umbrella Specification + MIME type registration
f) The cellml.org site / repository.
g) The biomodels.org repository.
h) PCEnv
i) COR
j) JSim
k) Jonathan Cooper's CellML tools
l) black_box_cellml

and of course lots of other projects which I know exist but don't know
the project name, and probably also many that I don't even know about.

While some of these projects have common decision making processes and
people associated with them, there is certainly no core group of people
who are involved in all of the above projects, or who can make decisions
on each of these projects.

I get the feeling that what is really being proposed is that we take the
people currently involved in projects a, b, f and h and treat them
specially by putting their names on a page and calling them the core
team. But why should the other projects be given any lesser status on
the page?

I think that by doing this we risk sending a signal to people who are
involved on other projects, or who might think about starting other
CellML related projects that CellML is a centralised organisation rather
than a community project.

Instead, we should start off by describing everyone working on CellML,
and categorise people based on what they do in relation to CellML. We
can make certain categories of people easily accessible from the CellML
site (for example, we could have a list of people involved in the CellML
Specification or in cellml.org repository curation, and link to these
lists from the relevant pages on the site).

I am not proposing that this be in addition to a core project team. I am
suggesting that we shouldn't have an Auckland-centric core project team,
instead we should have a list of people involved with various projects,
perhaps with server-side filtered views to let people find what they
want quickly.