[cellml-discussion] [team-cellml] @cellml.org addresses

  • From: ak.miller at auckland.ac.nz (Andrew Miller)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] [team-cellml] @cellml.org addresses
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:22:07 +1200

Matt wrote:
>> I still don't like the idea of a 'core project team' simply because that
>> would require defining what the core project is, and it would appear to
>> then give exclusive domain over such aspects to a limited set of people.
>> In some sense, my objection is that the CellML 'project' is not strictly
>> one project, it is actually a diverse set of projects, each of which may
>> have its own decentralised management.
>>

> There still needs to be a team that is ultimately responsable for
> overseeing that the whole project moves forward, which to me are the
> people who started it through specific ideals and funding and are
> taking the initiative to provide the facilities (i.e. cellml.org) to
> form a community. I don't really see it as 'core' .... that terms
> suggests control in a way that is inappropriate for CellML.

I think that there are still several different teams which happen to be
the same, but by merging them conceptually we create the perception of
control that your refer to:

1) A group of people who promote the use of CellML by advertising the
benefits the project will have to the modeling and biological
communities (and other communities which may use modelling). This group
should be expansive and with no formal membership, although local groups
such as the Auckland group, as well as groups with specific interests,
e.g. people applying this to electrophysiology or more generally to
biology. We should actively seek to expand this group, as it would be
good to have people who promote the use of CellML in other areas of
biology. I think that we would also all benefit if CellML was expanded
outside of biology, as it would make it easier to share new tools across
disciplines, which again would require people with knowledge in these
areas. For example, engineering, physical sciences and chemistry,
various earth sciences, various social sciences, and economics probably
all result in models that could be expressed in CellML, and this would
increase the pool of people developing CellML tools.

2) A group of people who maintain the CellML specification. We should
accept suggestions from everyone, although we will have a group of
people who make final decisions.

3) A group of people involved in curating models and providing tools to
store these models. This group should accept suggestions from everyone,
although we will have a group of people who make final decisions. Anyone
is free to create their own repository for a certain purpose as well and
set up their own group, and so this could become more of a consortium in
the future.

4) Various groups of people involved in Auckland-based tools such as
PCEnv. The only overlap of this with the above is that the people
involved happen to also be involved in the above projects, but there is
no formal difference in status between these projects and other projects
developed outside of Auckland. Patches may be accepted from the
community, and decision making is made at Auckland. Other groups are
able to fork these projects or create their own projects with their own
resources.