[cellml-discussion] PMR categories

  • From: david.nickerson at nus.edu.sg (David Nickerson)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] PMR categories
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 09:42:17 +0800

James Lawson wrote:
> David Nickerson wrote:
>> Would I be correct in assuming that these terms will be key words added
>> to the model metadata and that the division into categories on the main
>> repository page will be assembled from queries on each of these
>> predefined key words?
>
> Well potentially, there could be many many different keywords, so Peter
> suggested that we might not necessarily want to base the categories on
> just the keywords. At the moment, Tommy's sorting function is based on
> keywords but he suggested that we could have both a keyword and a more
> general category selection system.

not sure I like the idea of a separate category, seems to me adding some
special piece of metadata to models just to make a repository dump look
pretty isn't the way to go. It would be nicer to make use of the
keywords (which are genuinely useful metadata to more than just the
model repository), possibly with the addition of a guided part of the
metadata editing workflow which prompts the user to choose at least one
of the predefined "category" keywords and a filter smart enough to put
models without one of the special keywords into an "other" category.
This way the main repository page layout could be easily changed to add
or remove keywords that get pulled out as categories without having to
change the models.

It would also be nice if we can analyse all the repository searching to
keep track of the most popular keywords and adjust the categories on the
main page accordingly :-)