[cellml-discussion] Handling structural complexity in Systems Biology models

  • From: r.muetzelfeldt at ed.ac.uk (Robert Muetzelfeldt)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] Handling structural complexity in Systems Biology models
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:43:39 +0100

Dear members of the CellML discussion list,

Back in 2004, I contacted Poul Nielsen about Simile
(http://www.simulistics.com), a modelling environment I've been involved
with, and in particular its capabilities fro handling complex
disaggregation in continuous-systems models. The email exchange was
discussed at a CellML meeting, and you can read it
here:http://www.cellml.org/community/meeting/minutes/archive/20040302_meeting_minutes.html.

It has only taken 6 years (!), but I have now written a rather detailed
note (some 30 pages) on this topic. The note is expressed solely in
terms of SBML and the various proposed extension 'packages'
(http://sbml.org/Community/Wiki/SBML_Level_3_Proposals) that deal with
model structure. I put forward a unified approach for handling the
requirements of these various separate packages. The paper can be found
at http://precedings.nature.com/documents/4372/version/1.

I have made no attempt at relating the issues discussed in the paper to
CellML capabilities, since it was already long and complicated enough, I
am currently involved in some SBML-related work, and I have not looked
at the CellML spec and developments since 2004. I am just mentioning the
paper in case the approach is of interest to the CellML community for
handling disaggregation (e.g. spatial) and other aspects of model
structure. I am of course happy to engage in further discussion, either
on- or off-list.

Best wishes,
Robert Muetzelfeldt

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.