[cellml-discussion] ABI CellML Meeting Minutes, 21st April 2010

  • From: alan.garny at dpag.ox.ac.uk (Alan Garny)
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] ABI CellML Meeting Minutes, 21st April 2010
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:40:10 +0100

Hi Justin,

> - I have not put up a binary version anywhere; I will in the next few
days.

Thanks, I am looking forward to giving it a try.

> - I have not done development for the prototype outside of Linux.
> Dependency management under Eclipse can be done in several ways;
> supposedly using Maven2 or Ant and the respective plugins for Eclipse is
> totally cross platform, but setting up Maven2 or Ant configuration files
is
> quite time consuming, especially as the dependant projects (jeuclid and
> JFreechart) do not seem to have valid Ant or Maven2 configuration files.
For
> the purpose of the demo, I chose to do this in the 'Eclipse'
> way, which it turns out is not really friendly with source control.
> Importing a project with dependencies into an Eclipse workspace does not
> work nicely unless you either use Maven2 or Ant, or bundle *all* of the
jars
> under your project, or have *all* of the jars have the same
> *absolute* path under all machines, or already have 'projects' in that
> workspace that deal with this in one of the ways above which your project
is
> dependant upon; the 'cascading project' pattern is quite common, but would
> require putting the entire thing under version control. I am sure there is
> another way that is actually workable (or that the Ant or Maven2 way is
> workable) that I just do not know, but I have already exceeded a
reasonable
> fraction of the total time I had available on this particular problem.

I don't see a problem with putting everything under version control (as you
might have realised by now, I don't care too much about 'conventions'). In
fact, it makes it much easier for anyone who would potentially be interested
in contributing, since they wouldn't first have to install a bunch of
dependencies before being able to compile the project. If you remember, this
is what I did with Qt/C++, though mainly out of time constraint (since I
wanted to quickly be able to test things on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X).

> If we do
> go ahead with using Scala, setting up a dependency handling system so that
> this is not something anyone has to deal with again will be one of the
first
> things I want to do, as otherwise this system fails at one of our hard
> requirements (that is, that other people can build and develop for
OpenCell
> 'easily'). Ideally, one should be able to build it with just the jdk, a
scala
> compiler, and something like Ant or Maven2.

That would be ideal indeed.

> - A vanilla Scala application is trivial to deploy; there is a particular
jar you can
> bundle your application with that allows it to run under the jvm. This
bundle
> has no native components. Eclipse RCP applications require a few more
> platform specific jars bundled with them to run under the respective jvms,
> but there is a specific archive available from eclipse.org (the Eclipse
Delta
> pack) which you just need to take the jars from. I have not attempted to
> create a 'launcher'
> (which is Eclipse speak for something that looks like a native
> application) on any platform other than Linux; it worked under Linux at
the
> push of a button in Eclipse. I am currently working on a solution that
will
> work from the command line.

Personally, I would first be interested in a Windows and Mac OS X solution.
It would be good to be able to compare the different 'versions' of your
mockup.

Alan