[cellml-discussion] PMR categories

  • From: matt.halstead at auckland.ac.nz (Matt )
  • Subject: [cellml-discussion] PMR categories
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 13:45:15 +1200

Yes, species attributes are important - especially where a model
contains mixed data. We can use the species metadata, however I would
like to extend the specification of that property to have other
resources as possible values, not just simple strings, and to use
something like the LSID formalism outlined in the following paper:

TAXONOMIC NAMES, METADATA, AND THE SEMANTIC WEB : Biodiversity
Informatics, 3, 2006, pp. 1-15

The paper explains in a pretty straightforward way why this is better
than using names from a single source such as the NCBI Taxonomy (which
we advocate in the metadata spec).

The critical thing for us is that a single model will quite often
contain elements that derive their mechanism or parameters from
studies on different organisms, so we need to be quite rigorous in
looking at all components in a model and identifying their origin.
This is obviously one facet where imports should be helping us to put
circles around species specific submodels.

cheers
Matt